Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Let your breath be your witness

I went to Yoga class today. We had a different teacher, and it was a totally different feeling.  The energy was paced and soothing, and my movements were easier to follow.  Perhaps I'm getting better.  Or maybe the leader's energy agreed with me in some way.

If you've ever been to a Yoga class, you know how breathing is important.  The inhale and exhale mark the  ins and outs of movements and poses.  As the class intensifies, your breathing does too.  It makes us aware of our bodies; it draws our attention to our present.  Those uncomfortable poses challenge our rigid sense of self.  The straightforward idea of all things vertical disappear, leaving only the comfort of a twisted heart and soul.  It was during one of those twists when the teacher said to the class, "Breath.  Let your breath be the witness of yourself." That line spoke to me so dearly.  It clearly stated the intimacy of the Yoga.  You, meeting with your own self in a delightful state of concentration and achievement.

I wish I had more of this intimacy with my own self.  I was reading on some Yoga online forum on the intentions people bring to their practices.  It is at the beginning of every class where we state our own intentions, our own energy.  I usually put my energy towards me, being a better person.  I walk around with myself every single moment, and it is my intention to be at peace with me, to the person that I truly am, and not the person I think I am.  There's a huge difference.  For the most part of my 33 years of age (soon to be 34), I have fed the person I have thought I am.  I'm done with that.  My true self is much more, and I plan to meet with me daily, for the rest of my life.  To spend more time breathing awareness and letting my breath be my witness in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment